buy the book
Get your copy of Dr. Erica's best-selling book, now translated into 16 languages!
"Every so often, a book comes out that truly shares our big-picture attitude about raising kids. "What Great Parents Do" is packed with smart reminders about parenting priorities and how to actually do what you want to do."
- Parents Magazine
"What Great Parents Do is the only parenting playbook you need. No book has better distilled, science-based parenting tips than this one! If you have only two minutes a day, you have time to pick up a quick strategy for parenting with more joy, skill, and ease. A must read!"
- Christine Carter, author of The Sweet Spot and Senior Fellow, UC Berkeley, Greater Good Science Center
“Erica Reischer offers a 'cheat sheet' of best parenting practices. Equipped with her wisdom, we all have the potential to be ‘great parents.’”
- Peggy Orenstein, New York Times best-selling author of Girls & Sex and Cinderella Ate My Daughter
"An essential Rules of the Road for would-be parents."
- Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, New York Times best-selling author of Flow
"Dr. Erica Reischer delivers. With oodles of great scenarios drawn from real life, it’s like she hits the pause button and whispers a key piece of advice. Reischer may be offering simple strategies, but the wisdom behind them is incredibly deep and profound."
- Julie Lythcott-Haims, New York Times best-selling author of How to Raise an Adult and former Dean, Stanford University
About the book
WHAT GREAT PARENTS DO: The small Book of BIG Parenting Ideas began as a workshop in local schools and soon grew into a class attended by thousands of parents at schools and organizations, including Habitot Children’s Museum, University of California Berkeley, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital, and San Francisco Zen Center.
Now a forthcoming book by Penguin Random House, WHAT GREAT PARENTS DO offers readers the same action-oriented guide to parenting best practices for children’s social and emotional development. Written by a psychologist who specializes in family relationships, this book presents simply and concisely 75 key strategies parents can use to reshape kids’ challenging behavior, create strong family bonds, and guide children toward becoming happy, kind and responsible adults.
Written for busy parents who don't have time to read a typical chapter book, WHAT GREAT PARENTS DO gets right to the point. It distills the most useful information about the art and science of parenting into bite-sized summaries with real examples of what to say and how to say it. It also includes dozens of tools and techniques parents can use right away, such as “previews”, “power sharing”, “pivoting”, “reframing”, empathy, “replays”, “fair warning”, emotion coaching, “stopping the action”, and more.
In a style that is easy to read and reference later, this book will show you:
- How to change unwanted behavior such as whining and procrastinating (without yelling or nagging)
- How to avoid common parenting missteps
- How to sidestep power struggles
- How to guide children toward becoming happy, kind, and responsible adults
- How to build a strong and enduring relationship with kids
For more information, or for media inquiries, please contact:
Keely Platte, Senior Publicist, TarcherPerigee / Penguin Random House: firstname.lastname@example.org